Secure Node - MainNet - Abbreviated Guide - With Backup and Recovery v1.2

Hello all!

I wanted to submit a complete abbreviated style of guide for setting up your secure nodes, using a Windows PC and PuTTY. Tested on Linode 1024 and OVH SSD 2. I’m sure many of you can easily just adapt it for other VPS since it is written generically for Ubuntu 16.04 Server 64bit.

This guide is inspired by the Block Operations Guide, it is mostly an abbreviated version to help the slightly more technical get set up quickly.

I have also included two other guides on backing up and restoring your node.

Edit for v1.01
Made a few small corrections. It has been fully tested by me using the Linode 1024 in Fremont and Newark. Challenge times for those two VPS’s were between 220 and 280 seconds. I just launched an OVH SSD 2 VPS with 4GB of memory and a 20GB SSD. Challenge results so far are less than 160 seconds.

Edit for v1.01a
Fixed a few small formatting problems.
Added missing command to enable firewall. $ sudo ufw enable
Download now includes .doc files and .pdf files.

Edit for v1.1
Updated guide for use on MainNet
Included a migration guide, inspired by psyrax over on the discord.

Edit for v1.1
Removed PDF documents from zip file. Was made aware of some problems with formatting when pasting from the PDFs. Please use just the DOC files. There has otherwise been no changes to my guide besides removing the word DRAFT from the migration guide. Thanks to discord user bytez, if it wasn’t for his problems I wouldn’t have found the issue.

Edit for v1.2
Removed migration guide and fixed a few spelling mistakes, as well as updated some instructions due to tracker changes. I also updated donation info and graphics with the new ZenCash logo and styling.

Please feel free to share, comment, critique. I have my donation information at the bottom of each guide. I would very much appreciate any tips. It took me quite a number of days of testing to solve all my own problems with it.

Cheers!

Sto1cNate - SecNode - Complete - Guide v1.2

SHA256SUM: 37701C7973319363B211AAE0DCF27E1C4CFE5735C9396FEDD48C8FF0FFB7AC9C

Donation Address

znk7UAB4Ez1NNH1hdeHLyVevjaz3sXg9dW8

Privacy. Transparency. Equity. Freedom. ZenCash.

Nice work @Sto1cNate! Concise and to the point. I am sure it will be helpful for many of us. Thanks.

Well,
I guess I will just go with setting up using a VM cloud secure Node Server.
Just so it makes a little more sense to you as to what my thinking was & my reasoning was to want a physical server node at home, was this; ( How invaluable could A few physical server be to Zen developers to fall back on after a What IF” scenario deleted or perm.erased all traces of a wide swath of Blockchain data that left no trace of happening anywhere on the Clouds. Wouldn’t Having a few phyiscal servers that kept running within the Zen.io
Become possibly invaluable for development team.
But, im fine going with a cloud server.
- Have you heard any rough est. on dollar amoumts it cost to set up nodes from those, “Zensays” who have completed their set up already using VR cloud servers, if the person needs to buy everything?
-On the 4GB minimum memory, requirement, is that referring to the amount of memory we buy for the virtual servers memory?

• When is Zen to go live on the blockchain with the secure ZenCash node servers?
  • where do I get a block of IPV6/4 addresses? Are they free, cheap, or expensive?
    -I am going to just start working my way through the process, using the lastest Tutorial (is Rolfs 2 part tutorial still the easist to follow?
    $ 42 ZenCash $32.50 x $1365.00
    Check this out John John, i normally watch Zen & other coins on the crypto live price chart. i like to use a site called Coingecko.com because Geckos ingenus use of specific live raw data point totals, that created a live Top 100 coin ranking chart that is always updating the rankings automaticlly from live number tallies from societies uses of those cryptos in social media data connected directly to our interactions with crypto coins like buying, selling, posts, tweets, etc. data totals that.
    If you could get the Zencash.io developer that handles social media to go take alook at the Zencash live chart in coin gecko.com/ Community Tab/ the Raw Data inputs are there live. seeing what specific slithers of raw data points gecko has chosen and how he lets the live totals Prove out to show what the crypto world is doing, not just saying. It could be a huge help to the whole development team in many ways that create better Zensays.

Just altered the OP. Added my updated v1.01 guide. Made a few small corrections. It has been fully tested by me using the Linode 1024 in Fremont and Newark. Challenge times for those two VPS’s were between 220 and 280 seconds. I just launched an OVH SSD 2 VPS with 4GB of memory and a 20GB SSD. Challenge results so far are less than 160 seconds.

Updated OP with new v1.01a.

Updated OP with new v1.1 for MainNet.

Updated OP for new copy of v1.1

Removed PDF documents from zip file. Was made aware of some problems with formatting when pasting from the PDFs. Please use just the DOC files. There has otherwise been no changes to my guide besides removing the word DRAFT from the migration guide. Thanks to discord user bytez, if it wasn’t for his problems I wouldn’t have found the issue.

Updated OP.

Added details about the SSL bug.

Updated OP with links to Psyrax’s guide to update your node’s zend application.

both the links say that the file is no longer available, is it listed somewhere else?

Yeah, I have updated the guide and had to make a new posting because this OP is beyond the edit threshold.